Complaints and Grievance Procedures


1.     Complaints may be:

1.1   Of a general or specific nature

1.2   Made by domestic students, international students, staff, parents/caregivers, or people in the community

1.3   About a particular incident, or an accumulation of apparently minor incidents

1.4   Made by telephone, in writing, or in conversation

2.     Complaints shall be listened to in good faith and fairly, treated seriously and professionally, and investigated and addressed as promptly as possible

3.     Procedures instituted shall protect and advise both parties of their rights. That shall include both parties receiving copies of the complaint, and a written summary of            the results of any investigation, and of the resolution or decision

4.    A report on the investigation of each complaint shall be written and that, along with further reports on subsequent investigations and the resolution or decision, shall           be held for three years after the student or teacher has left the College

5.    Any complaint in writing shall be replied to in writing. Written complaints and their responses are filed on staff/students files.

6.    A choice of who is to deal with the complaint shall be made available to the complainant if appropriate.

6.1   Any complaint dealing with a teacher’s classroom performance is to be directed to the HOD, and the Principal to be informed at this stage.  If the complaint is about            an HOD, it should be directed to the Principal.

6.2   Any complaint about a staff member’s behaviour in the College or community shall be directed to the Principal.

6.3   Any complaint about student behaviour out of school shall be directed to a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).

6.4   Any complaint from a parent or other student about a student’s behaviour within the school is to be directed to either the dean or HOD depending on the nature of              the complaint.

6.5   Any complaint regarding serious misconduct of students at school e.g. drugs is to be directed to a member of the Senior Management Team.

6.6   Any complaint (other than one about the Principal) received by the Board of Trustees shall be directed to the Principal in the first instance.

6.7   Any complaint about the College’s Principal shall be directed to the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees

7.     All administration and support staff shall be made aware of the complaints policy and procedures

8.     Separate procedures exist for complaints of sexual harassment

9.     Any complaint made by, or about, an international student shall be managed by the same processes. Any student shall have the right to request access to an                      interpreter

10.   If you think that the school has failed to follow the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice:  

Step 1: Discuss the matter with the International Student Dean

Step 2: If you are not satisfied with the way the complaint is dealt with, speak to the Principal Mr Jon Ward, who may take up the issue on your behalf with the Board of Trustees.

Step 3: International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS).

If you believe the school has breached the Code of Practice and you have not been able to settle the matter following the school’s internal procedures, you may bring the matter to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) who will process your complaint under the provisions of the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS). Details of the DRS and the approved provider Fairway limited can be accessed through the following links:


FairWay Limited -

Contacting the New Zealand Qualifications Authority.

Complaint forms can be downloaded from the link

Completed complaint forms along with supporting evidence can be sent to:

The Complaints Officer

New Zealand Qualifications Authority

P.O. Box 160

Wellington 6140


Email or scan the completed form along with any scans of supporting evidence to   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

(A copy of the Code of Practice is in your International Student Handbook)

 If it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact iStudent Complaints by phone on 0800 00 66 75. More information is available on the iStudent Complaints website: